In the age of High-Defintion and 3D displays, nearly every household has access to at least one TV screen, if not many. But, a dirty screen can dull your experience and your viewing pleasure just isn’t the same. Here at LMB Supplies, we’ve got the tips and tools to get your TV screen sparkling once again! Here’s how to clean a TV screen…
What You Will Need to Clean a TV Screen
TV screens, especially LCD or LED versions are extremely delicate so you can leave the chemicals at the door. All you need is:
- A soft, clean microfiber cloth
- A small amount of distilled water
The Cleaning Process
- Turn off the TV – it’s far easier to see the marks and smears you’re trying to clean with the screen off and the room well lit.
- Gently use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. Remember to apply minimal pressure to ensure you don’t damage the display.
- Use circular motions or gently wipe the screen from top to bottom.
- Check how clean the screen is by looking at it from various angles. If there are some stubborn stains then use a tiny amount of distilled water to dampen the microfiber cloth and repeat the process. Pay particular attention not to let water reach the edges of the panel.
- Clean the edges of the TV screen in a similar manner.
- Wait for the TV to dry and turn it back on to check the results.
Handy Tips to Remember
Here are some tips to bear in mind to avoid causing damage to your TV screen.
- Paper cloths and kitchen roll are generally made from wood or recycled paper and can contain small grains of timber or paper which can scratch and damage a TV screen.
- Cleaning chemicals and glass cleaner can react with the liquids within the TV screen and cause damage which prevents colours and images from displaying properly.
- Liquid that reaches the edge of the screen may get behind it and damage the internal electronics rendering the screen useless so be sure to use a tiny amount.
- For the reasons mentioned above, we recommend you don’t spray liquids of any sort near the screen and not just because it’s electrical!
- Standard tap water contains minerals that can streak the screen. If you need to dampen your microfiber cloth, we recommend distilled water.
So, Why Use Microfiber to Clean a TV Screen?
Microfiber cloths are made from ultra-fine fibres which combine friction and capillary action to absorb and remove dirt and dust, sucking them up within the material of the cloth and away from the screen. This action, combined with the soft nature of the microfibers results in a gentle cleaning action that prevents scratching or damage to the TV screen.
Using a microfiber cloth makes light work of removing oils, grease, dust, fingerprints and other marks from TV screens. If you find some marks are particularly tough you can use clean distilled water to lightly dampen the cloth before wiping. Just be sure to keep the edges of the screen free of moisture.
Take a look at our selection of microfiber cloths below and make your selection. You will find microfiber cloths are ideal for all manner of home cleaning tasks. See for yourself and buy microfiber cloths with LMB Supplies; they’ll be a staple in your cleaning cupboard forever!
So, there you have it; our guide on how to clean a TV screen.