A simple patchwork quilt is a wonderful project for both new and seasoned crafters! It’s an item that can be passed through your family for years to come and will complete any room with a homely touch.
Here’s a simple step by step guide to on how to make a patchwork quilt masterpiece yourself.
What you will need:
- Swatches of fabric which will form the patches of your quilt
- Full size quilt backing material
- Plenty of wadding to fill your quilt
- Tape measure
- Sewing machine
- Ruler and set square
Step by step guide:
- First things first, decide which size quilt you want to make. Then work out what size your patches will need to be to cover this area. Then choose your fabrics.
- Make a patch template on paper. Remember to add 1cm on all sides to allow for seams.
- Select, wash and iron your fabrics to ensure you won’t experience any shrinkage. Pin the first fabric swatch onto the template and cut out appropriately. This will create a patch. Repeat for all of your patches.
- Lay out the patches and arrange. Pin together using the 1cm allowance. Sew them together in rows and press seams flat.
- Once you have completed all of the rows, pin them and sew the rows together to form the patchwork front of your quilt.
- Cut out your backing fabric, and again, remember to include an additional 1cm seam allowance. Lay the patchwork onto the quilt backing, right sides together. Sew around all of the edges but leave a gap of around 80cm on one end so that you can stuff it.
- Turn right side out and press your quilt. Now you can stuff the quilt with wadding. Once filled, you can sew the remaining gap closed by hand.
- Keep the padding in place by making a small stitch where each set of four patches meet.
So, there you have it; a step by step guide to help you make your very own patchwork quilt!
Browse our range of fabric craft supplies
– we have everything you need from materials for patches to ideal wadding material. The best part is, it’s all recycled! Make your selection from our range below.