Stripping & Polishing Hard Floors & Vinyl
Prior to stripping & polishing any floor you need the proper tools:
- Two Mop buckets and wringers
- Two Mop Handles and Mop Heads (16oz)
- Edging Pad Holder & Pad (Black 10ins)
- Wet Floor Signs
- Cleaning Cloths
- Personal Protective Equipment (rubber gloves, eye protection)
- Floor machine with pad driver board (150>300 rpm)
- Black floor stripping Pad
- Wet vacuum with floor squeegee tool
- Floor stripper solution (rinse free)
- Floor Polish
- Small Bucket
- Small mop head (Round Midi Size) and Handle
Procedures used in Stripping and Polishing Hard Floors and Vinyl
- Dust mop or sweep floor area and remove any foreign debris i.e. gum, tar etc.
- Mix proper solution of stripper with the correct amount of water into your mop bucket with COLD water (Some strippers are sold in ready to use format).
- Post wet floor signs in the appropriate areas.
- Mop the stripper solution over the area to be cleaned (Max area of 12ft x 12ft at any one time) and allow adequate time for the solution to penetrate (approx 7 to 10 mins). DO NOT ALLOW THE STRIPPER TO DRY!
- After the required time period, agitate the floor surface with a floor machine using the black HD scrubbing pad.
- Use the edging pad and holder to agitate the perimeter of the room.
- Recover all the stripper solution with a wet vacuum equipped with a proper floor squeegee tool.
- If heavy build up is present, repeat steps 4, 5 & 7 until all the polish is removed.
- Alternate Process using traditional stripper: After the floor has completely been stripped of all the old polish, change the floor on your floor machine to a clean one. Flood the floor with CLEAN water and agitate the floor with the floor machine and recover the water with the wet vacuum.
- Damp mop the floor with a clean mop and clean water.
- Do not remove the wet floor signs until completely dry.
Applying the Floor Polish or Finish:
- Place a Bin liner into your small bucket allowing the liner to drape over the sides.
- Pour the appropriate floor finish or polish into the bucket.
- Place your clean mop into the bucket and gently wring out any excess material.
- Outline the perimeter of the area to be finished.
- Begin applying the finish or Polish in a figure of eight motion, this allows for more overlap therefore leaving no missed spots.
- Allow the floor to dry: approximate dry time are between 15 to 25 mins per coat.
- Reapply finish until you have achieved the desired results.
How many coat do I need?
- 2 to 3 = High Shine
- 3 to 5 = Wet look finish.